Monday, April 25, 2011

The Battle of the Wedding Dress: Fabric Hunting

  It was a cool, damp morning as the sun slowly rose over the horizon. My small companion and I slowly creeped through a dense forest of polyester and 100% cotton. The smell of plastic foliage filled the air and the surrounding consumer wildlife was muted by the sound of a squeaking shopping cart wheel. Senses heightened, we relied solely on our training to overcome the mission put before us. Fabric Shopping.

  Ah, fabric shopping. My little addiction. Although, I really do not recommend bringing your offspring to Joann's if you can help it. Just today I got smacked in the head with a bolt of fabric my son yanked down...totally ruined my high.

  Now, fabric selection for the wedding dress went like this:
Me: So, what kind of fabric do you want?
Aunt Jackie: Satin.
Me: Alright, let me pull up some photos of Satin fabric and you can pick out the color you like.
-------Pulled up Mood Fabric website, Satin selection----------
Aunt Jackie: I don't like how shiny it is.
Me: You don't like that satin is shiny?
Aunt Jackie: Yeah. It might look too fancy next to a suit.
Me: /Facepalm.

   After about an hour of looking through silk, satin, and charmeuse, our eyes started to bleed and brain matter was oozing out of our ears. We decided to order some swatches and see what happen. Guess what swatch Aunt Jackie ended up choosing? Satin.

  This is the fabric:
Blue Satin- This will be the main fabric used.
Beige Taffeta- For under the ruched opening
Beige Tull-This will either go over the beige taffeta or be an underlining for the sleeves to add form.
And this is why you always bring a sample of the material you initially bought in case you have to buy extra...  I now have mismatched embroidered tulle...which cost $24.99 a yard. /facepalm
One of these will be used to go over the taffeta, to make the sleeves, and to minimized Auntie Clevage,

Up Next - Bondage Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment